A South Coast police officer has been left with a serious facial injury after a man on ACT bail allegedly punched him while attempting to evade arrest.
Ross James Grant, 41, of Malua Bay, was arrested and charged last week after what his lawyer described as a "violent struggle".
He faces charges of breaching an apprehended violence order, resisting arrest and escaping police custody, as well as two counts of assaulting police, and assaulting police causing actual bodily harm.
He has pleaded not guilty to all charges.
Mr Grant appeared in court on June 29, and reappeared at Batemans Bay Local Court for a bail application on Monday.
The court heard Mr Grant had engaged in "offensive communication" via text messaging that involved name calling and swearing, allegedly breaching his AVO.
Two Batemans Bay police officers visited Mr Grant's Malua Bay home in relation to the allegation on June 28.
Police allege Mr Grant was spoken to and then fled at about 1pm, initiating a foot pursuit by the two officers.
Mr Grant's lawyer said the escape was a "spontaneous response" and "he is not a flight risk".
"He didn't want to be arrested," the defence lawyer said.

"They were on the ground, it was a violent struggle and allegedly he punched an officer in the face and was capsicum sprayed and Tasered."
The prosecution said Mr Grant was currently on bail facing charges in the ACT.
The defence lawyer said it would complicate proceedings if he was refused bail.
Magistrate Doug Dick noted Mr Grant's ACT bail related to "three very violent offences".
The man was due to appear in a Canberra court later this month.
Mr Grant's defence lawyer said it would create a "difficult administrative conundrum" if the man were to stay on remand in NSW.
"It actually hinders what is required in ACT," the lawyer said.
"The original matter is unlikely to be dealt with for a long time."
His lawyer said there was a concern Mr Grant would spend more time in jail than any potential sentence he may receive if he was convicted.
Mr Dick told Mr Grant he was refused bail and would remain in custody in NSW.
"You have not shown cause as to why your detention is not justified, and you will remain in custody," Mr Dick said.
"Matters can still proceed to a hearing with the accused on screen."
Mr Dick said the ACT courts registry would be notified Mr Grant was in custody.
The 41-year-old is expected to reappear via audio-visual link in the Batemans Bay courts on August 9.