Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Politics
Hugh Bronstein

Venezuela launches manhunt for leaders of attack on army base

A man walks past a portrait of Venezuela's President Nicolas Maduro in Caracas, Venezuela August 7, 2017. REUTERS/Ueslei Marcelino

CARACAS (Reuters) - Venezuela launched a country-wide manhunt on Monday for the men who assaulted an army base the day before, using state TV to flash pictures of the accused rebels who escaped with weapons after a gunfight with soldiers.

The attack came just hours after the first session of a new legislative superbody created by President Nicolas Maduro, which opponents say will cement dictatorship after months of deadly protests in the oil-rich but economically-ailing country.

Pro-government supporters holding an image of Venezuela's late President Hugo Chavez attend a march in Caracas, Venezuela August 7, 2017. REUTERS/Ueslei Marcelino

Those who attacked the base near the city of Valencia said their operation was aimed at starting an insurgency against unpopular leftist Maduro. No more assaults were reported, and anti-Maduro protests in Valencia were quickly subdued, but hackers attacked dozens of state websites to show their support for the raid.

Defense Minister Vladimir Padrino said in a televised address that two of the men who attacked the base had been shot dead and eight captured. About 10 others are on the run.

"This band of criminals did not act out of noble ideals or patriotic principles of any kind. They operated as mercenaries paid by extreme right-wing groups in Miami," he said.

Women walk past a portrait of Venezuela's late President Hugo Chavez in Caracas, Venezuela August 7, 2017. REUTERS/Ueslei Marcelino

The leader of the attack was Juan Carlos Caguaripano, a former National Guard captain. Also involved in the assault was an army first lieutenant, who was captured, and a group of civilians who escaped along with Caguaripano.

"They managed to get away. A special operation has begun for their search and capture," Padrino said, adding that three soldiers had been wounded in the pre-dawn Sunday gunfight.

About 2,000 government supporters marched in Caracas to show support for the constituent assembly elected eight days earlier despite wide criticism from the region and globally.

Pro-government supporter holding a picture of Venezuela's late President Hugo Chavez attends a march in Caracas, Venezuela, August 7, 2017. REUTERS/Ueslei Marcelino

More than 120 people have died in anti-government protests since April. Maduro has said the assembly is the nation's only hope of peace but many Venezuelans say it has left them without any democratic options to oppose him.

The assembly, which is stacked with Maduro's Socialist Party allies, used its first session to fire the country's top prosecutor, who had accused the president of human rights abuses. The move confirmed opposition fears the body would use its vast powers to root out government critics.

Pro-government supporters march in Caracas, Venezuela August 7, 2017. REUTERS/Ueslei Marcelino

"THE GREAT DICTATOR"

Maduro's critics have long referred to him as a dictator, especially since his loyalist Supreme Court started nullifying laws passed by the opposition-controlled Congress.

Since the assembly's election, leaders like Donald Trump of the United States and Juan Manuel Santos of Colombia have referred to Venezuela a dictatorship as well.

People pass a sign that reads "Ever onward to victory" in Caracas, Venezuela August 7, 2017. REUTERS/Ueslei Marcelino

A group calling itself The Binary Guardians said on Monday it hacked about 40 state web sites. A representative told Reuters in an interview that he was a Venezuelan national but declined to give specifics about the group or his location. He they were not part of 'Operation David' but supported it.

The country's CNE elections authority, which ran the July 31 vote for the new 545-member assembly, was among the sites hacked. Its website showed a flyer in favour of the base attack, and a video showing a clip from Charlie Chaplin film "The Great Dictator".

In the clip, Chaplin gives a rousing speech against authoritarianism. ( http://cne.gob.ve/ )

People queue at an ATM of a bank to withdraw cash in Caracas, Venezuela August 7, 2017. REUTERS/Ueslei Marcelino

"Soldiers! Don't give yourself to brutes, men who despise you and enslave you, who regiment your lives, tell you what to do, what to think and what to feel," Chaplin says in the speech.

(Additional reporting by Alexandra Ulmer, Deisy Buitrago, and Eyanir Chinea; Reporting by Hugh Bronstein; Editing by Alexandra Ulmer and Andrew Hay)

National Constituent Assembly member Diosdado Cabello attends a pro-government march in Caracas, Venezuela, August 7, 2017. REUTERS/Ueslei Marcelino
Julio Borges, president of the National Assembly and lawmaker of the Venezuelan coalition of opposition parties (MUD), attends a meeting with fellow lawmakers at the National Assembly building in Caracas, Venezuela August 7, 2017. REUTERS/Carlos Garcia Rawlins
Venezuela's new chief prosecutor Tarek William Saab speaks during a news conference in Caracas, Venezuela, August 7, 2017. REUTERS/Andres Martinez Casares
Pro-government supporters holding Venezuela's flag march in Caracas, Venezuela August 7, 2017. REUTERS/Ueslei Marcelino
Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.