Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Tribune News Service
Tribune News Service
Sport
Matt Ehalt

Vargas, rain delay sink Mets in loss to Reds

NEW YORK _ Jason Vargas needed only nine minutes to ruin another game.

The Mets lefty only threw 14 pitches spanning four batters Tuesday before a 100-minute rain delay, and yet managed to allowed three runs that put the Mets behind for good in a 6-1 loss to the Reds. Vargas (2-8) allowed three hits before rain, thunder and lightning delayed the game, and the Mets (46-65) have now lost his last six starts.

The bullpen tossed 82/3 innings the night before a 12:10 p.m. series finale.

While Tuesday's rain delay prevented Vargas the chance to settle down and provide his team with five innings, it marked yet another dud in a lost season.

The Mets signed Vargas hoping he would provide stability and innings, and he has done the opposite. He's made only 12 starts due to injuries, and has failed to record an out in the sixth inning this year. He actually inflated his ERA Tuesday from 8.23 to 8.75.

Tuesday's game started with ominous clouds floating above Citi Field, and as Vargas allowed some hard-hit balls, thunder boomed in the background while lightning flashed across the sky. With the Mets down 1-0 and runners on second and third with one out, the grounds crew furiously unrolled the tarp to stop the action at 7:20 p.m.

A 100-minute delay prevented Vargas from returning, and Paul Sewald allowed both runs to score to put the Mets in a 3-0 hole.

Barring a miraculous finish, Vargas will finish this season with an ugly ERA and uncertainty about whether he can be an ever be an effective starter again.

For now, the Mets are just concerned with the lefty tallying innings. Vargas has only thrown 471/3 innings since he's being capped at five innings.

"We want to see him get out there and pitch and get innings under his belt. You can't predict how a guy will come into next year how he finished the year before," Mets manager Mickey Callaway said. "We would like to have him success to build up his innings so when he comes back next year and if he's in a good spot and everything is going well he can continue to pitch and be the guy he was last year."

Vargas' $8 million salary in 2019 should keep him on the team barring the Mets unexpectedly eating money, but it doesn't mean he has to be in the rotation.

One possibility for Vargas could be a move to the bullpen, but Callaway still believes the Mets' best roster includes Vargas as a starter, provided he's effective.

"That's something we can always adjust. There is value to having Vargas whether it's in the rotation or the bullpen," Callaway said before the middle game of this set. "We're the best team we can be with Vargas being the guy he was last year and being in our rotation and allowing some other guys to fall where they need to fall."

The rain delay allowed Callaway to get a look at his young relievers without having to pick and choose which ones he would use. The manager has a tough job each night having to balance winning that game while evaluating the relief options for 2019.

The young relievers did a nice job allowing only three runs. Sewald, Tyler Bashlor and Drew Smith combined for 52/3 scoreless innings.

Bobby Wahl allowed a two-run homer to Phillip in the third inning that put the Mets in a 5-1 hole, and Jacob Rhame allowed a solo homer to Dilson Herrera in the ninth.

Jose Bautista provided the lone Mets RBI with an single off Sal Romano in the second inning that snapped an 0-for-23 skid.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.