
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is set to outline on Monday plans by the United States to build a coalition to look closer at Iran's "destabilizing activities," the State Department said.
"The US will be working hard to put together a coalition," State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert told reporters on Thursday.
The aim is to "bring together a lot of countries from around the world with the specific goal of looking at the Iranian regime through a more realistic lens" which would include "all of its destabilizing activities that aren't just a threat to the region but are a threat to the broader world," she said.
Nauert added that the coalition will not be "anti-Iran" because the US stands "firmly behind" the country's people, in contrast to the regime and its "bad actions."
She did not say whether the proposed coalition against Iran's regime would have a military component.
The spokeswoman said the State Department received on Monday about 200 foreign diplomats to explain to them President Donald Trump's decision to withdraw from the nuclear accord, and the next steps.
The administration of former president Barack Obama and other major powers reached the accord with Iran in 2015. It lifted punishing international sanctions in return for Iran's agreement to freeze its nuclear effort.
Withdrawing from the deal last week, Trump called for a new agreement with deeper restrictions on Iran's nuclear program as well as curbs on its ballistic missiles and its backing for militant groups across the Middle East.