Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Asharq Al-Awsat
Asharq Al-Awsat
World
Asharq Al-Awsat

US Refutes Turkey Claims on Khashoggi Recordings

US National Security Advisor John Bolton. (AFP)

The United States refuted on Tuesday Turkish allegations that Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defense, was complicit in the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in Istanbul in October.

US National Security Advisor John Bolton recordings linked to the murder do not implicate the Crown Prince, citing others who have heard the tapes.

Bolton, speaking to reporters in Singapore ahead of a regional summit, was asked whether it was right to say the audio contained nothing that implicated the Crown Prince.

"I haven't listened to the tape myself but in the assessment of those who have listened to it that´s right," he said.

Bolton emphasized that President Donald Trump has demanded a full investigation and for those responsible to be held accountable.

"The president has made it very clear that he expects we´re going to get the truth from the Saudis -- and the King and the Crown Prince, in the conversations they´ve had with the president, have committed to that," he said.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said the order to murder Khashoggi came from "the highest levels" of the Saudi government.

Turkey has previously said it shared recordings linked to the murder of Khashoggi with officials in Riyadh, Washington and other capitals.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.