
HANOI/WASHINGTON: President Donald Trump’s second summit with Kim Jong Un collapsed Thursday without an agreement between the two leaders.
The two leaders “had very good and constructive meetings in Hanoi,” White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said. They “discussed various ways to advance denuclearization and economic driven concepts. No agreement was reached at this time, but their respective teams look forward to meeting in the future”.
Mr Trump and Mr Kim separately left Hanoi’s Sofitel Legend Metropole hotel before 1.30pm local time. Mr Trump is expected to hold a news conference at 2pm, two hours ahead of schedule, Ms Sanders told reporters in Hanoi.
The leaders had earlier planned to sign a joint agreement at 2pm, following a working lunch. It isn’t clear if the lunch proceeded as scheduled; reporters were ushered from the dining room at the hotel before seeing Mr Trump, Mr Kim or their aides following a morning of private meetings.
Ms Sanders didn’t say why the summit’s schedule was abruptly changed, and initially told reporters that “negotiations are ongoing” when asked whether there would be a joint statement.