Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Al Jazeera
Al Jazeera
World
Al Jazeera and agencies

US: More than 150 al-Shabab fighters killed in air raid

US: More than 150 al-Shabab fighters killed in air raid

The US military has carried out a drone strike against an al-Shabab training camp in Somalia over the weekend, killing at least 150 fighters.

The Pentagon said on Monday that the strike occurred over the weekend on the camp about 195km north of the capital Mogadishu.

"The fighters were there training and were training for a large-scale attack," Captain Jeff Davis, Pentagon spokesman, said.

"We know they were going to be departing the camp and they posed an imminent threat to US and [African Union] forces.

"It was an air operation. Initial assessments are that more than 150 terrorist fighters were eliminated."

Davis said as many as 200 fighters were believed to be training at the camp and that the US military had been monitoring the site for several weeks before the strike.

Earlier on Monday, six people were wounded when a bomb planted inside a notebook computer exploded at an airport in the small central town of Beledweyne.

The bomb detonated at a checkpoint about 325km north of Mogadishu, where last month al-Shabab fighters claimed responsibility for a blast that created a big hole in a passenger plane shortly after takeoff.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.