Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Euronews
Euronews
Gavin Blackburn

US diplomat Tom Barrack apologises for using word 'animalistic' to describe reporters in Lebanon

The US ambassador to Turkey has apologised for warning journalists at a press conference in Lebanon not to be "animalistic", following a major backlash over his choice of language.

During a visit to Beirut on Tuesday, Tom Barrack, who also serves as Washington's envoy to Syria, caused a furore when he tried to quieten down reporters in the Lebanese presidential palace.

At the start of an event to discuss the Lebanese government's potential disarmament of the armed group Hezbollah, Barrack told the crowd of journalists to "act civilised, act kind, act tolerant".

Reporters had been urging him to move to the podium after he started speaking from another part of the room.

Hezbollah supporters shout slogans during a protest against Tom Barrack who was supposed to visit Tyre in south Lebanon, 27 August, 2025 (Hezbollah supporters shout slogans during a protest against Tom Barrack who was supposed to visit Tyre in south Lebanon, 27 August, 2025)

"The moment that this starts becoming chaotic, like animalistic, we’re gone," Barrack said in response.

The remark prompted outrage, with the Lebanese press syndicate demanding an apology. If none was forthcoming, they called for a boycott of Barrack's visits.

The presidential palace issued a statement expressing regret over the comments of "one of our guests". It added its thanks to journalists for their "hard work."

In an interview published on Thursday with the media personality Mario Nawful, Barrack apologised for the incident, saying he didn’t intend to use the word "in a derogatory manner".

He admitted that his language had been "inappropriate".

"I should have been more generous with my time and more tolerant myself," the US ambassador said.

A UN peacekeeper standing on a hill overlooking Kfar Kila, a Lebanese border village destroyed by Israeli air strikes and a ground offensive, 20 August, 2025 (A UN peacekeeper standing on a hill overlooking Kfar Kila, a Lebanese border village destroyed by Israeli air strikes and a ground offensive, 20 August, 2025)

Barrack's visit came after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu suggested that the disarmament of Hezbollah could lead to his country's forces beginning their withdrawal from territory they hold in southern Lebanon.

It remains unclear how this will work in practice, as Hezbollah leader Naim Qassem said earlier this month that the group would not surrender their arms.

The Israeli army launched air strikes in southern Lebanon on Thursday, saying it had targeted "terrorist infrastructure and a rocket platform" belonging to Hezbollah.

A ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah technically went into effect in November to stop the latest war between the pair.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.