Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Tribune News Service
Tribune News Service
National
Todd Spangler

US-Canada border closed to nonessential travel another month

WASHINGTON _ The border between the U.S. and Canada will remain restricted to essential travel only for another 30 days, the Trump administration announced Monday.

It means that trade between the two countries can continue and workers will be able to travel between the U.S. and Canada for jobs, but travel for entertainment or pleasure is prohibited.

The border restrictions which were put in place a month ago to slow the spread of coronavirus also apply to the U.S. border with Mexico. Those restrictions will remain in place for another 30 days as well, Acting Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf said Monday morning.

"In close collaboration, the U.S., Mexico and Canada have each agreed to extend restrictions on nonessential travel across their shared borders for 30 additional days," Wolf said in a brief message. "As President (Donald) Trump stated last week, border control, travel restrictions and other limitations remain critical to slowing the spread and allowing the phased opening of the country."

Some health care workers living in the Windsor area have expressed concerns that they have been shunned because of their jobs in metro Detroit, which has been one of the areas hardest hit by the pandemic in the U.S.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.