Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Al Jazeera
Al Jazeera
World
Al Jazeera

US air strike targets senior al-Shabab leader

Al-Shabab denied last month US claims that dozens of its fighters had been killed in air strikes [Feisal Omar/Reuters]

A US air strike in Somalia has targeted a senior al-Shabab leader accused of participating in deadly attacks on African forces and American citizens.  

The Pentagon said on Friday the strike was aimed at Hassan Ali Dhoore, also described as a key member al-Qaeda.

It was unclear whether al-Shabab members were killed in the attack on Thursday, and the US defence department was "assessing the results of this operation", a statement said. 

"Removing Dhoore from the battlefield would be a significant blow to al-Shabab's operational planning and ability to conduct attacks," Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook was quoted saying.

Dhoore is said to be a member of al-Shabab's Amniyat, or security and intelligence wing, and was involved in high-profile attack planning in the capital, Mogadishu.

The Pentagon said he planned and oversaw attacks resulting in the deaths of African Union military personnel and at least three US citizens.

Quoting unidentified US officials, The Associated Press reported that Dhoore and two others were killed in a drone strike 32km south of Jilib in southern Somalia, not far from the Kenyan border. The officials were not authorised to discuss the strike publicly so spoke on condition of anonymity.


READ MORE: Somalia's al-Shabab: Toll of US air strikes exaggerated


The Pentagon said Dhoore helped facilitate a deadly Christmas Day 2014 attack at Mogadishu's international airport that killed nine people, including three AU soldiers.

He was also involved in the March 2015 assault on the Maka al-Mukarramah Hotel in the Somali capital that left 24 people dead, including six attackers.

Last month, the US said it carried out several air strikes in Somalia's Hiiraan region, in which it claimed more than 150 of the al-Qaeda-linked group's fighters had been killed.

However, two of the al-Shabab leaders said to have died in that attack later appeared in public.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.