Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
ABC News
ABC News
National
By Gail Burke and staff

UQ senior professor quits before responding to sexual misconduct allegation

UQ said it took its obligations to investigate any allegation extremely seriously.

The University of Queensland (UQ) has defended its handling of an alleged sexual misconduct case after the resignation of a senior academic accused of assaulting a colleague.

UQ is not naming the people involved, but said the senior professor resigned last week, a day before he had to formally respond to a complaint he had sexually assaulted a colleague on a work trip in 2017.

The university said no students were involved.

In an email to staff, UQ vice-chancellor Peter Hoj said the professor was suspended within a day of the complaint, but the staff member's resignation on March 22 meant the university was unable to make any formal finding of serious misconduct.

"I am constrained by the principles of privacy and natural justice in the information I am able to share with you, but I can confirm that the matter did not involve students," Professor Hoj said.

"UQ has supported the complainant throughout the process, and their wellbeing and privacy are our primary concerns.

"I want to assure you that I understand the courage it takes to come forward in these situations.

"We take our obligations to investigate extremely seriously."

In a statement, Professor Hoj said a comprehensive investigation began as soon as the university was advised of the allegation.

UQ has zero tolerance for any behaviour that impinges on the rights of individuals or contravenes the university's values, the statement said.

Professor Hoj said UQ had supported the complainant throughout the process, and her wellbeing and privacy continued to be of primary concern.

"While complex investigations such as this can take time to reach conclusion, it is critical that allegations are fully investigated to afford natural justice to all parties and so the community can have confidence in the process.

"The process of investigation needed to be particularly thorough given that a number of key aspects of the alleged misconduct had been denied."

Professor Hoj said in a community of 60,000 people, "unfortunately issues could sometimes occur".

UQ would not provide any details of the allegations.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.