Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
World
Adam Withnall

Up to 50 refugees 'found dead in lorry in Austria'

A truck stands on the shoulder of the highway A4 near Parndorf south of Vienna, Austria, (AP)

Up to 50 people, presumed to be asylum-seekers, have been found dead in the back of a lorry in Austria.

Officials referred to the dead as migrants, and local media reports suggested they died of "suffocation" after being trapped in the lorry's trailer. A police manhunt has been launched to find the driver, who is suspected of smuggling the victims into the country.

The bodies were found in the back of a refrigerated food delivery truck, which had been parked on the hard shoulder of the A4 road, Austria's "Eastern Motorway", near the town of Parndorf.

A spokesperson for the Austrian interior ministry confirmed to the Reuters news agency that the tractor trailer had been found, but was unable to provide a definitive death toll. "Unfortunately there are many dead people in there," he said.

Austriatruck4.jpg Police stand in front of a truck parked on the shoulder of the highway A4 near Parndorf south of Vienna Austriatruck3.jpg At least 20 migrants were found dead in the truck parked on the Austrian highway leading from the Hungarian border, police said. 'Today is a dark day'

Austrian police said the vehicle had been left abandoned at the site since Wednesday, but was only searched by officers on Thursday morning after it was repored by local workers.

They said there were between 20 and 50 bodies inside, and that they had been dead for some time and started to decompose.

Tweeting from the scene, Channel 4 News' Lindsey Hilsum said there was a "terrible smell of death as we passed".

Austria's interior minister Johanna Mikl-Leitner addressed the discovery of the lorry at a press conference in Eisenstadt, according to Krone.

She hit out at the "despicable methods" of migrant smugglers, saying they "belong behind bars", and said: "Today is a dark day." Macedonia/Greece Border Crisis

Earlier on Thursday, Austrian police said they had stopped three lorries suspected of carrying migrants. They included one van which had taken 34 refugees, including 10 children, across the border into Austria.

The incident comes as Europe faced a continent-wide migrant crisis, with neighbouring Hungary reporting 3,241 illegal entry attempts - a record number - on Wednesday.

Hungary is close to completing a razor-wire fence spanning the full 110-mile length of its border with Syria, prompting a race for migrants to reach the effective start of the Schengen Area of free movement within the EU.

Read more: Thousands of migrants cross from Macedonia into Serbia
Only by working together can EU states hope to deal with crisis
Map shows how road to Europe represents danger at every turn

While the interior minister held her press conference, Austria's president Heinz Fischer was in Vienna for the Western Balkans Conference. The migration crisis was set to top the agenda at the summit between the EU and six Balkan states including Macedonia and Serbia.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.