
Ninety peacekeepers have recently tested positive for the COVID-19 disease, Andrea Tenenti, the spokesman for the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) announced on Sunday.
Eighty-eight of those who contracted the virus are from the same contingent, he said.
The other two are from another country, he said. “They are in complete isolation and all the precautionary measures have been followed to prevent the further spread of the virus,” he added.
Only four presented symptoms.
UNIFIL said the coronavirus cases did not affect activities of the force.
UNIFIL, which has some 10,300 peacekeepers south of the Litani River, said last month that 22 soldiers had tested positive for the disease.
Lebanon has been witnessing a growing number of cases as the country grapples with the aftermath of the Aug. 4 Beirut Port explosion that rocked the capital and overwhelmed hospitals.