Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Asharq Al-Awsat
Asharq Al-Awsat
World
Asharq Al-Awsat

UNHCR: 93 Asylum Seekers Evacuated from Libya to Italy

Sudanese refugee Osman helps carry fellow evacuee Hayat’s young son as they arrive at Tripoli airport to board a UNHCR-chartered flight to Rome. © UNHCR/Mohamed Alalem

A group of 93 asylum seekers stuck in Libya were evacuated to Italy on Thursday in the first flight of its kind in two years, the UN refugee agency said.

The flight to Rome is one of five planned evacuation airlifts organized by the UN High Commissioner for Refugees, or UNHCR.

A total of 500 asylum seekers would be evacuated over a year "under a new mechanism for humanitarian admissions", the agency said in a statement.

The last evacuation flight to Italy was in 2019.

Those flown out of Tripoli on Thursday included "children, women at risk, survivors of violence and torture, and people with serious medical conditions", the UNHCR said.

"We are pleased to see these evacuation flights become a reality and that the Libyan authorities have supported them," Jean-Paul Cavalieri, the UNHCR's chief of mission in Libya, was quoted as saying in the statement.

He described the flights as "a lifeline for some of the most vulnerable asylum seekers".

"Conditions in Libya remain dire for many refugees," Cavalieri added, calling on the international community to open up other humanitarian routes.

Libya plunged into chaos and conflict after dictator Moamer Qaddafi was ousted in a NATO-backed uprising in 2011, becoming a crossroads for migrants south of the Sahara who were desperate to reach Europe.

In late October, Libya authorized the resumption of humanitarian flights that had been suspended for nearly a year, allowing dozens of refugees and asylum seekers to relocate to other countries.

The UNHCR also operated evacuation flights for those who wished to be resettled back in their home countries voluntarily.

On November 4, the agency evacuated 172 asylum seekers from Libya to Niger, as part of its emergency transit mechanisms, whereby they are hosted in the country until their refugee claims are processed.

Since 2017, the agency has evacuated or resettled some 6,919 refugees and asylum seekers who were in Libya. Of those, a total of 967 were evacuated to Italy.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.