Underground electricity box causes fire in Wigan town centre

By Adam Maidment & Josie Le Vay

Emergency crews were called out to a fire involving an underground electricity box in Wigan town centre this afternoon.

Shortly after 2.30pm on Tuesday (September 7), two fire engines from Wigan fire station were called to Library Street in Wallgate.

Fire crews were on the scene for two hours as they extinguished the fire.

Read more: The big, grey box on Deansgate that has got everyone talking

The incident led to a series of traffic disruptions in the area, with local bus services 7, 8, 9 and 132 all affected.

At 5.30pm, Stagecoach tweeted to report that Library Street had reopened with services resuming to normal in the area.

A spokesperson for Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) said: “At approximately 2.35pm on Tuesday 7th September, two fire engines from Wigan fire station attended a fire involving an underground electricity box in Wallgate, Wigan.

“Crews arrived quickly and used one hose reel, electrical gloves, thermal imaging camera and one dry powder extinguisher to extinguish the fire.

“Fire crews were on the scene for two hours.”

Some local businesses were said to have been affected by a loss of power due to the fire.

Posting on Facebook, cocktail bar The Wiend wrote: "We are aware of the fire in the town centre and that some venues in Wigan have had to shut due to power problems.

"We still have power so if you’re looking for a safe haven for a beer come join us at the Wiend bar."

How the electricity box caught fire is not yet known.

Sign up to the MEN email newsletters to get the latest on sport, news, what's on and more by following this link.


What is inkl?

Important stories

See news based on value, not advertising potential. Get the latest news from around the world.

Trusted newsrooms

We bring you reliable news from the world’s most experienced journalists in the most trusted newsrooms.

Ad-free reading

Read without interruptions, distractions or intrusions of privacy.