Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Asharq Al-Awsat
Asharq Al-Awsat
World
Asharq Al-Awsat

UN Says Regained Access to Key Wheat Silos in Hodeidah

In this file photo taken on June 22, 2018 Yemenis unload sacks of food aid for the displaced from the province of Hodeida in the northern district of Abs - AFP

The UN food agency said it has regained access to major grain storage in the Yemeni port city of Hodeidah for the first time since February.

World Food Program (WFP) spokesman Herve Verhoosel says a technical team accessed the Red Sea mills facility Sunday, where some 51,000 metric tons of wheat — enough to feed 3.7 million people for a month — had been in storage when the site was rendered inaccessible in September, the Associated Press reported.

Houthis previously blocked access, preventing WFP from crossing a front line into the government-controlled area where the silos are located.

According to Reuters, the 51,000 tonnes of wheat were at risk of rotting.

Meanwhile, a WFP technical team arrived in the eastern outskirts of Hodeidah on Sunday to start preparing and servicing equipment for milling grain.

Verhoosel said its priority was to begin cleaning and servicing milling machinery and fumigating the wheat.

The UN expects that process to take several weeks before starting to mill it into flour and distributing it to the Yemeni communities most in need, Reuters reported.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.