
The UN Special Envoy to Sudan, Volker Perthes, discussed with dismissed Sudanese Prime Minister Abdullah Hamdok mediation options and a possible "way forward" for Sudan, a day after hundreds of thousands of protesters took to the streets to demand an end to military rule.
Perthes tweeted that he met with Hamdok at his residence, where he remains well but under house arrest.
"We discussed options for mediation and the way forward for Sudan. I will continue these efforts with other Sudanese stakeholders."
Hamdok has demanded the release of detainees, including party leaders and ministers, and a return to the pre-coup power-sharing arrangement before negotiating further, according to sources.
Sources in Khartoum said that a delegation from the African Union (AU), which suspended Sudan's membership, will also begin mediation between the military and civilians.
They also indicated that the Sudanese Foreign Ministry expressed its dissatisfaction over recent comments made by the British ambassador in Khartoum, Giles Lever.
Lever posted a video critical of the coup led by Burhan, who took the reins of power with force from Hamdok.
The British ambassador was part of an international diplomatic delegation that the Sudanese army allowed to meet with Hamdok last week.
Following the massive demonstrations that took to the streets of Sudan Saturday, the United States praised the "courage" of millions of Sudanese who peacefully expressed their aspirations for democracy.
US President Joe Biden demanded the return of the civilian government to power during his meeting with Congolese President Felix Tshisekedi.
They also discussed President Tshisekedi's efforts as the AU Chair to promote peace and security in Africa, including the need to resolve the widening crisis in Ethiopia and restore the civilian-led transitional government in Sudan.
For his part, US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken expressed his country's admiration of the millions of "courageous Sudanese who protested peacefully to express their aspirations for a democratic Sudan on October 30th," referring to the massive demonstrations in the country against the military coup.
"While we commend those members of the security forces who upheld their obligations to respect human rights, we mourn the dozens who were killed or wounded and reiterate our calls for the immediate release of all political prisoners and an end to extrajudicial detention," Blinken tweeted.
Meanwhile, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres urged the country's military leaders to step back.
"We witnessed in Sudan on Saturday the courage of so many people who peacefully protested military rule. The military should take heed. Time to go back to the legitimate constitutional arrangements," Guterres said.
He indicated that the reports of violence are alarming, and perpetrators must be brought to justice after the death of at least three people when security forces opened fire on demonstrators in Omdurman on Saturday.
US media were particularly interested in the recent events in Sudan, especially since the country has long been on the list of states sponsors of terrorism because of its association with designated terrorist groups that launched attacks against US interests and missions abroad.
The Biden administration made efforts that were initiated by former President Donald Trump to remove Sudan from the list and write off billions of dollars in debt.
Washington also encouraged international financial and economic institutions to provide incentives to help Sudan through the transitional phase towards elections, democratic governance, and economic prosperity.
However, the sudden developments last week disappointed the US and international officials who were looking forward to the army's support of democracy instead of seizing power.