Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Asharq Al-Awsat
Asharq Al-Awsat
World
Asharq Al-Awsat

UN Expresses Concern over 'Dramatic Turn' in Libya Crisis

Demonstrators march during an anti-government protest in Tripoli, Libya, August 25, 2020, (Reuters)

The United Nations on Saturday voiced alarm over what it called “a dramatic turn of events” in Libya's conflict, after a power struggle between leaders of the Tripoli-based government surfaced in the wake of anti-corruption protests.

Protests over deteriorating economic conditions erupted earlier this week in the capital and elsewhere in western Libya, which is controlled by the Government of National Accord (GNA), headed by Fayez al-Sarraj.

In Tripoli, pro-GNA militias opened fire on demonstrators with rifles and truck-mounted guns and abducted some of the protesters.

“Libya is witnessing a dramatic turn of events that underlines the urgent need to return to a full and inclusive political process,” the UN support mission in Libya said.

Sarraj and his interior minister, Fathi Bashaga, initially accused “outlawed infiltrators” of instigating the violence. Sarraj also said protesters “did not obtain necessary permits” for their rally and described their demonstrations as “riots.”

However, on Friday, Sarraj suspended Bashaga and initiated an administrative investigation after Bashaga accused a pro-GNA militia of attacking the peaceful protesters in Tripoli this week.

Bashaga, who was excluded from two high-profile military and security meetings in the capital over the past few days, quickly responded. He said in a statement he accepted Sarraj’s decision but demanded a public and live questioning “to expose the facts” to the Libyan people. He did not elaborate.

Following the suspension of the interior minister, militias in Tripoli celebrated the decision by firing weapons into the air, while others in Bashaga's hometown of Misrata took to the streets to show support for the minister.

The UN mission in Libya, known as UNSMIL, said it was still concerned about “the excessive use of force against demonstrators as well as the arbitrary arrest of a number of civilians.” It did not say how many people were detained.

Retweeting the UNSMIL’s statement, the US Embassy in Libya urged Sarraj and Bashaga toward “cooperation" in the interests "the Libyan people.”

Over the past two days, militias sealed off main streets and roads to prevent the demonstrators from reaching Tripoli’s Martyrs Square, the epicenter of the protests, according to two residents who spoke on condition of anonymity for fear reprisals.

A group of women however protested in the city center before being dispersed. Two women were wounded and four others were arrested, according to the protest movement, known as “Hirak Aug. 23.”

The movement called for civil disobedience until achieving their demands that include handing over power to the Supreme Judicial Council to work towards presidential and parliamentary elections.

The Libyan Crimes Watch, a local rights group monitoring the conflict, said Saturday a protester died of his wounds after he was shot Friday when a militia dispersed the protesters in the city center.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.