Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Euronews
Euronews
Sasha Vakulina

Ukraine's parliament returns with defence and foreign ministry crises unresolved

Ukraine's parliament returns to work on Tuesday after its summer break, reconvening with two of the government's most sensitive wartime portfolios still without heads.

When the Verkhovna Rada voted in Prime Minister Sergii Koretskyi’s new cabinet on 16 July, it approved every post except two: defence minister and foreign affairs minister.

For a month now, the defence ministry has been without permanent head, amid Russia's intensifying ballistic missile attacks, an unusual situation for a country defending itself from the full-scale invasion for over four years.

Under Ukraine's constitution only the president can submit nominees for the two posts, since both fall within his direct authority as supreme commander-in-chief and head of the country's foreign policy.

Zelenskyy has so far yet to do so for either ministry.

People hold a minute of silence during a rally to protest the dismissal of Mykhailo Fedorov as Ukraine's Defense Minister in Kyiv, Friday, Aug. 14, 2026. (AP Photo)

Andrii Sybiha, who had already been permanent head of foreign ministry before the cabinet reshuffle, was kept on as acting foreign minister under a similar Cabinet order.

In the meantime, the defence ministry has been run by Yevhenii Khmara, the former acting head of Ukraine's Security Service (SBU), whom Zelenskyy tasked with the job on 16 July.

The ousted defence minister Mykhailo Fedorov suggested Khmara is not starting from scratch: in an interview on 6 August, he said he had personally handed his successor a detailed "war plan" and walked him through it.

"This was the first thing I did, I showed it to him personally," Fedorov said, adding that he had "explained the logic - how that logic of the war plan then deconstructs into procurement, into development," breaking an overall strategy into hundreds of individual projects, from weapons production to financing.

Demonstrators hold a photo of former Mykhailo Fedorov during a rally to denounce Zelenskyy's decision to dismiss Fedorov, Kyiv, Ukraine, July 24, 2026. (AP Photo)

Street protests continued

Street protests over Fedorov's removal have continued regardless.

On 16 August Dmytro Koziatynskyi, a war veteran and one of the protest organisers said the aim was "to remind the president of the importance of dialogue between the authorities and society, as well as of the fact that the president himself must bear responsibility for the consequences of all questionable personnel decisions."

A petition read out at the latest demonstration and later handed to a representative of the Presidential Office pointed to one concession already won - Zelenskyy’s decision to replace Oleksandr Syrskyi with Mykhailo Drapatyi as commander-in-chief - while pressing him to explain other contested picks, including Rustem Umerov's move to head the Foreign Intelligence Service.

People march during a rally to protest the dismissal of Mykhailo Fedorov as Ukraine's Defense Minister in Kyiv, late Sunday, Aug. 16, 2026. (AP Photo)

Notably, the petition focused less on the minister and more on preserving the reform agenda Fedorov had championed, including anti-corruption measures in military procurement, a more accountable chain of command and Ukraine's push into drone and data-driven warfare.

Zelenskyy has said he offered Fedorov "a prominent position in the government" centred on the tech sector, but Fedorov rejected every alternative, saying he will only return as defence minister.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.