
The Foreign Office has summoned the Russian ambassador to the UK over strikes on Kyiv that Sir Keir Starmer condemned as “senseless”.
Russian strikes on Ukraine overnight killed more than a dozen people and caused damage to a British Council building in Kyiv.
Sir Keir said Russian leader Vladimir Putin is “sabotaging” hopes of peace as US-led efforts to negotiate an end to the conflict struggle to gain traction.
Foreign Secretary David Lammy said: “Putin’s strikes last night killed civilians, destroyed homes and damaged buildings, including the British Council and EU Delegation in Kyiv.
“We have summoned the Russian Ambassador.
“The killing and destruction must stop.”
Putin’s strikes last night killed civilians, destroyed homes and damaged buildings, including the British Council and EU Delegation in Kyiv.
— David Lammy (@DavidLammy) August 28, 2025
We have summoned the Russian Ambassador. The killing and destruction must stop.
Russia launched a mass drone and missile attack on Kyiv, including a strike in the centre of the city, marking its first combined attacked on the Ukrainian capital in weeks.
The Prime Minister posted on X: “My thoughts are with all those affected by the senseless Russian strikes on Kyiv which have damaged the British Council building.
“Putin is killing children and civilians, and sabotaging hopes of peace.
“This bloodshed must end.”

Donald Trump said he hoped to broker a meeting between the Russian and Ukrainian leaders after he met Mr Putin in Alaska two weeks ago and Mr Zelensky days later in Washington.
Russia has since said there are no plans for a direct meeting between Mr Zelensky and Mr Putin.
Mr Trump’s special envoy for Ukraine Keith Kellogg, in a post on X, condemned the “egregious attacks” he said “threaten the peace” the US president is pursuing.
Downing Street said earlier this week that Mr Putin was blatantly stalling progress.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said: “Russia chooses ballistics instead of the negotiating table.
My thoughts are with all those affected by the senseless Russian strikes on Kyiv which have damaged the British Council building.
— Keir Starmer (@Keir_Starmer) August 28, 2025
Putin is killing children and civilians, and sabotaging hopes of peace.
This bloodshed must end.
“We expect a response from everyone in the world who has called for peace but now more often stays silent rather than taking principled positions.”
The British Council said its office in Kyiv had been “severely damaged”.
“Following last night’s attack, our British Council office in Kyiv has been severely damaged and will remain closed to the public until further notice.
“Thankfully, our colleagues are all safe and our work with our Ukrainian partners in education and culture will continue uninterrupted,” a spokesperson said.
It posted a picture showing the building with its windows and entrance smashed open and surrounded by glass and debris.
A guard who was injured is “shaken but stable”, the organisation’s chief executive Scott McDonald posted on X.
Colm McGivern, director of the British Council Ukraine, told BBC Radio 4’s PM programme: “I don’t want to speculate on whether or not it was deliberate and intentional for the Russians to attack the British Council.
“But what I do think was deliberate, and what I do think is intentional, is Russia’s continued attacks on education and cultural infrastructure in Ukraine, attacking schools, attacking theatres, forcing children to learn from bomb shelters, preventing universities from opening fully and teaching their young learners.
“And the British Council is absolutely determined, steadfastly determined, that we will continue to support education and cultural expression, education and cultural links for Ukraine with the UK, in order to keep those sectors strong.”
Following last night’s attack on Kyiv, our office has been severely damaged and is closed to visitors until further notice. Sadly, one of our guards was injured and is now in hospital. While responses may be delayed, our work with 🇺🇦 partners in education and culture continues. pic.twitter.com/Zth8Uo0byw
— British Council (@uaBritish) August 28, 2025
Four children are among the 15 confirmed dead so far, the city’s administration said, with numbers expected to rise as rescue teams search for people trapped under the rubble.
The European Union delegation building in Kyiv was also damaged but staff were not harmed, EU president Ursula von der Leyen said.
Russia’s Ministry of Defence said it carried out a strike against military air bases and companies “within Ukraine’s military-industrial complex” using long-range weapons.
The ministry said it shot down 102 Ukrainian drones overnight, mostly in the country’s south-west.