Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
Holly Evans

UK radio station apologises after mistakenly announcing King Charles’s death

An announcement went out on Radio Caroline to say that King Charles had died - (PA)

A radio station has issued an apology after mistakenly announcing that King Charles has died.

Radio Caroline, which broadcasts across the south of England and the Midlands made the announcement and played God Save the King.

One online listener said that the usual broadcast abruptly stopped before the hosts said that normal programming had been suspended, before the broadcast ceased for 15 minutes.

After the hosts apologised for the confusion, it emerged that the announcement had been made due following a “computer error”.

The station manager Peter Moore wrote on Facebook: "Due to a computer error at our main studio the Death of a Monarch procedure, which all UK stations hold in readiness while hoping not to require, was accidentally activated on Tuesday afternoon (19 May), mistakenly announcing that HRH the King had passed away.

"Radio Caroline then fell silent as would be required, which alerted us to restore programming and issue an on-air apology.

The 77-year-old monarch is currently visiting Northern Ireland (PA)
The 77-year-old monarch is currently visiting Northern Ireland (PA)

“Caroline has been pleased to broadcast Her Majesty the Queen's, and now the King's, Christmas Message and we hope to do so for many years to come.

“We apologise to HM the King and to our listeners for any distress caused."

One person commented: “It was a shock, but after telling my wife and neighbours I realised it was a mistake - and perhaps it was the relief, but then the laughter set in.”

While others referred to it as an “honest mistake”, another wrote: “I heard this while working in our garage. I dashed indoors shouting to the missus ‘He’s dead ! Charlie is bloody dead!’. She looked puzzled and said ‘Well he was just at the flower show yesterday’.

“After much perusal of news websites we concluded that perhaps I should lay off the sauce for a while.”

On Tuesday, King Charles and Queen Camilla arrived in Belfast on their first visit to Northern Ireland this year, having spent the previous day at the Royal Chelsea Flower Show.

First stop for the royal couple was an event at the Titanic Quarter of Belfast to celebrate the city hosting this year's Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann, which is the world's largest festival of Irish music and dance.

Their three-day visit has been subject to heightened security due to growing dissident republican activities in recent months.

In 2024, it was announced that the 77-year-old monarch was undergoing treatment for an undisclosed form of cancer. His recovery is said to be going well and he has returned to a fuller diary of public engagements.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.