Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Liverpool Echo
Liverpool Echo
National
Liam Thorp

UK coronavirus deaths increase by 25 but figures come with a warning

The UK's coronavirus death toll has increased by 25 in the latest update.

The number is one of the lower totals we have seen but the figures come with a warning.

Throughout the pandemic, health experts have warned that reports arriving over the weekend or straight after it usually face a lag in reporting.

This means we could expect to see this number increase as the week progresses.

The Department of Health said the 25 further fatalities mean its working total for Covid-19 deaths now stands at 43, 575.

Data from the Office for National Statistics suggests the real total is likely to be more like 55,000.

The Department said that so far there have been 9, 290, 215 tests for the virus in the country, with 311,965 people testing positive so far.

Two of the further deaths came at Liverpool's main University Hospital Trust.

It means that a total of 462 people have now died from the virus across the city's Royal, Aintree and Broadgreen hospitals.

There were no other deaths announced at any other NHS Trusts across Merseyside.

While the death figures are low today, there are growing concerns about rising infections in certain parts of the country.

The Government is said to be seriously considering reinstating lockdown restrictions in the city of Leicester for two weeks past July 4 to control the coronavirus outbreak, according to the city mayor Sir Peter Soulsby.

Delivering a series of criticisms of the information he has received, the Labour mayor told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "Frankly it's been intensely frustrating.

"It was only last Thursday that we finally got some of the data we need but we're still not getting all of it and it was only at 1.04am that the recommendations for Leicester arrived in my inbox.

"What they're suggesting is not a return to lockdown, it seems that what they're suggesting is that we continue the present level of restriction for a further two weeks beyond July 4.

"I've looked at this report and frankly it's obviously been cobbled together very hastily.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.