Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Irish Mirror
Irish Mirror
World
Milo Boyd

UK coronavirus death toll rises to 137

The coronavirus death toll in the UK has risen to 137.

This afternoon NHS England announced that 29 more patients in England had died having contracted coronavirus, taking the death toll in England alone to 128.

The people who died were between 47 and 96 years old and all of the fatalities had underlying health problems.

Earlier today Scotland announced that three more people had died of Covid-19, taking the death toll there to six.

A further 24 have been infected in Wales, bringing the total to 170, and two people have lost their lives there so far.

It was announced earlier today that a coronavirus patient has died in Northern Ireland, the region's first Covid-19 fatality.

There are now 77 cases of Covid-19 in Northern Ireland, the UK's Public Health Agency has announced.

The confirmed death toll in the Republic of Ireland is two, while there are now 366 cases here.

The epidemic is likely to rumble on for months (Getty Images)

Britons have been advised against non-essential travel to anywhere in the world as the UK's Foreign Office said UK citizens may become stranded abroad as the crisis closes borders around the globe.

In a bid to tackle the disease's spread, schools are due to close on Friday, Gavin Williamson announced last night.

GCSE and A Level exams will not go ahead in the UK this year, casting doubt over the academic futures of hundreds of thousands of students.

Secretary of State for Education Gavin Williamson (Peter Summers)

As rumours circulated on social media about a full-blown lockdown being enforced in London this week, the UK's Prime Minister moved to calm fears.

Downing Street declared there is “zero prospect” of travel in and out of London being restricted in any way despite the coronavirus pandemic.

Boris Johnson’s spokesman moved to quash rumours that have spread like wildfire since it emerged officials are planning to tighten restrictions in the capital.

The spokesman did not rule out a new law being used to forcibly shut restaurants and bars.

The Prime Minister's spokesperson said there was no prospect of travel in and out of London being restricted (PA)

In order to stop people heading to work needlessly or to spiral into financial hardship, Labour leadership contender Kier Starmer urged the Government to do more.

He called on the UK Government to introduce a bold, comprehensive package to protect the incomes of British workers against the economic impact caused by the coronavirus outbreak.

Earlier this week, the Chancellor of the Exchequer announced additional financial support for businesses affected by the virus.

However, the UK Government has yet to provide any significant support for employees who have either lost or are at risk of losing their jobs, or who will see their incomes fall as a result of the current crisis.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.