The constitutional question in the UK is now at a “tipping point”, John Swinney said – with the newly reinstalled Scottish First Minister saying he would now take direct responsibility for such matters.
As he put his new ministerial team forward for formal approval in the Scottish Parliament, the SNP leader made clear he would be taking “direct ministerial responsibility for constitutional matters”.
And with the SNP’s election victory at Holyrood, earlier this month, coming alongside Plaid Cymru’s historic victory in the Welsh Senedd, at the same time as Northern Ireland has a Sinn Fein first minister, he said change could be coming across the UK.
Speaking at Holyrood the day after his new, slimmed down Scottish cabinet was announced, Mr Swinney noted that the recent election had seen the “largest ever number of pro independence MSPs” elected into office.
Mr Swinney claimed this as showing that “people in Scotland desire constitutional change”.
He said: “With polls showing support for independence in Scotland now in the majority, and with pro independence first ministers now in office in Scotland, Northern Ireland and in Wales, the constitutional question is now reaching a tipping point here and across these islands.”
While he said successive governments at Westminster had “tried to wish support for self determination away” the First Minister said the election results had made clear that “they have failed to do so”.
Mr Swinney continued: “My entire Government, led by me, is committed to continuing to build support for Scottish self government. And in our daily actions to improve our public services and our economy, all of us are preparing for Scotland to become independent.”
His comments came after he confirmed the first business in Holyrood next week would be focused on independence.
The Scottish Government has tabled a statement and subsequent debate for Tuesday, entitled “ambitious for Scotland”, with this the first chance theFirst Minister has to lay out his vision for the next five years since winning the election.
Prior to that election, the SNP leader had pledged this first debate would be on the development of a Section 30 order, enabling powers to be transferred from Westminster to enable Holyrood to hold another independence vote.
Noting that there is now the “largest number of MSPs supporting independence”, Mr Swinney told the Press Association he would put that forward “as part of fulfilling the commitments I made in the election and providing us with the opportunity to take forward the agenda to make sure that Scotland’s future is in Scotland’s hands”.
Scottish Conservative chief whip Tim Eagle said that “confirms John Swinney’s only interest is breaking up the United Kingdom”.
The Tory MSP argued that the First Minister “could have used the first debate of the new Parliament to talk about the cost-of-living crisis or the state of our public services, but independence will always be his top priority”.
Hitting out at the SNP leader, Mr Eagle said: “Even when Scots are telling him it isn’t a priority for them, he’s arrogantly pressing ahead anyway.
“Swinney has shamelessly shifted the goalposts, too, on his latest push for another referendum. Despite failing to achieve a majority, he still is demanding another vote as soon as 2028.
“Holyrood should be fully focused on Scots’ real priorities for the next five years, rather than yet more constitutional chaos.”