Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Economic Times
The Economic Times

UFO files: US Defense Department releases fresh trove of declassified reports on unexplained sightings

The U.S. Defense Department on ​Friday released a ​second batch of previously classified files ​on alleged UFO sightings, including references to people reporting unexplained green orbs, discs and fireballs.

At the order ‌of ⁠President Donald ⁠Trump, the first batch was made public ​on May 8. He is the latest president ​to release U.S. government reports on unidentified flying objects, a disclosure process that began ​in the late 1970s.

Defense ⁠Secretary Pete ‌Hegseth said the documents, ​photos and ​videos of what are officially ⁠known as "unidentified anomalous phenomena" had long fueled ​speculation.

Also Read: UFO files release by Pentagon: Check full list of aliens, UAPs sightings

"It's time the American people ​see it for themselves," he said in a statement.

One of the 222 files released on Friday contains 116 pages of documentation relating to a series ‌of reported sightings and investigations in a top secret facility in ​Sandia, New ​Mexico, from 1948 ⁠to 1950.

"This file contains 209 sightings of 'green orbs', 'discs', and 'fireballs' reported near the military base," the ​Defense Department said.

Experts said the first batch contained new videos of known sightings but gave no conclusive evidence of alien technology or extraterrestrial life.

Also Read: What is the secret behind the Pentagon’s 8-Pointed UFO?

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.