Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Liverpool Echo
Liverpool Echo
Sport
Ian Doyle

UEFA confirm major Champions League change that will affect Liverpool

Liverpool's Champions League campaign could have a different dimension next season after UEFA confirmed they have abolished the away goals rule from European competition.

The UEFA Executive Committee on Thursday approved the proposal to scrap the ruling - which was first introduced in 1965 - following the recommendation of the UEFA Club Competitions Committee and the UEFA Women’s Football Committee.

The away goals rule had been used to determine the winner of a two-legged knockout tie in the case where both teams were level on aggregate at the end of the two matches.

The team that scored the highest number of away goals would qualify, with a 30-minute extra time period being played in the second leg if the teams were level on aggregate with the same number of away goals scored. A penalty shoot-out then used to determine the winner if no further goals were scored.

Under the new rules, if the aggregate score is level after the second leg then extra time will be played regardless of the number of away goals scored, with penalties then taken if required to separate the teams.

In recent years, the away goals rule has met with increasing criticism in recent years, not least by Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone who claimed it was "unfair" his side had half-an-hour extra to score an away goal in their 3-2 Champions League win at Liverpool in March 2020.

“What I have to say, and will be saying at the next UEFA coaches’ meeting, is what I think is unfair,” said Simeone.

“Today was unjust because we had 30 minutes of extra time to score three away goals. Liverpool never had that. We had 30 more minutes to score an away goal and Liverpool didn’t. That’s not fair."

Liverpool were last eliminated on away goals by Zenit St Petersburg in the Europa League in 2013, with their most triumph via the ruling coming against Barcelona in the Champions League in 2007. All told, the away goals rule settled only nine European ties involving the Reds.

In England, away goals were scrapped from two-legged League Cup semi-final ties in 2019 and haven't been used in the play-off semi-finals since 1999.

Commenting on the abolishment of the away goals rule, UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin said: “The away goals rule has been an intrinsic part of UEFA competitions since it was introduced in 1965.

"However, the question of its abolition has been debated at various UEFA meetings over the last few years. Although there was no unanimity of views, many coaches, fans and other football stakeholders have questioned its fairness and have expressed a preference for the rule to be abolished.

"The impact of the rule now runs counter to its original purpose as, in fact, it now dissuades home teams – especially in first legs – from attacking, because they fear conceding a goal that would give their opponents a crucial advantage. There is also criticism of the unfairness, especially in extra time, of obliging the home team to score twice when the away team has scored.”

Liverpool will discover their Champions League group opponents when the draw is made on August 26.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.