June 07--Jill Ellis, coach of the women's national soccer team, said her team will not be distracted by new reports about goalkeeper Hope Solo's arrest on domestic violence charges last year.
"I know our team. And we have each other's backs," Ellis said Sunday. "It's something that was a long time ago. We've certainly put it to bed. And our focus is tomorrow evening."
The U.S. opens group play in the 2015 Women's World Cup against Australia on Monday in Winnipeg.
According to the ESPN story, based on police records and sworn depositions, Solo was combative and insulted police during her arrest last June on suspicion of domestic violence.
Solo initially faced two counts of misdemeanor domestic violence before the charges were dropped on procedural grounds. Kirkland, Wash., prosecutors plan to appeal a judge's decision to dismiss the case.
Police arrested Solo at her half-sister's home in Kirkland after she allegedly got into a physical altercation with her half-sister and then 17-year-old nephew. Kirkland police reported Solo was intoxicated at the time of her arrest.
According to the ESPN report, Solo repeatedly ridiculed officers during her detainment, suggesting two were having sex and calling another a "14-year-old boy." When asked by an officer to remove her necklace, Solo told him the piece of jewelry was worth more than he made in a year, the report stated.
At one point, Solo told an officer, "You know that if the handcuffs were off I'd kick your ass," the report said.
In interviews since her arrest, Solo said she was a victim in the incident. In January, a judge dismissed the charges against Solo a week before the case was scheduled to go to trial. Prosecutors have filed an appeal with the Superior Court of Washington, ESPN said.
Teresa Obert, Solo's half-sister, told ESPN that Solo was the aggressor in the fight.
Solo, 33, is widely recognized as one of the best goalkeepers in women's soccer history. She holds the U.S. records for shutouts (83) and starts (163). Ellis indicated Solo would start Monday's game. A U.S. Soccer spokesman said the organization would have no statement on Solo's situation and both Ellis and U.S. midfielder Carli Lloyd said the story has not caused problems within the team.
"That was a long time ago. We've moved on," Ellis said. "She's been a fantastic player and teammate. So none of that's even resonated with us. I'm sure many of the players aren't aware of it."
Lloyd, Solo's roommate in Winnipeg, said she had heard about the report but added, "Honestly, I didn't discuss it with her for one second."