Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Evening Standard
Evening Standard
World
Barney Davis

Two swans decapitated in London nature park

Stock image of a swan

(Picture: Paul Elliott)

Two swans have been found decapitated within 10 days at a London nature reserve.

Nature photographer Paul Elliot made the grim discoveries at Southmere park in Thamesmead, south London.

The volunteer for the Greenwich Wildlife Network said he fears the swans’ heads have been taken as “trophies”.

Cygnets in Thamesmead (Paul Elliott)

He revealed he was investigating CCTV at a car park in a bid to try and find out what happened to the swans.

“There was blood splatter in the car park and then you could see someone had dragged it from there.” He told The Standard.

“Foxes don’t generally take the heads for trophies. They would have dragged the whole bird away if so.

“The swans were just left there for the wildlife to dispose of the evidence.”

The first swan was killed last weekend and the second swan was found dead on Wednesday morning.

Mr Elliot claimed cygnets from the same family had been sent to Swan Sanctuary after being blinded and suffering serious neurological problems from being hit with catupult attacks by local teenagers.

Mr Elliot said cygnets from the same family had been sent to Swan Sanctuary after being blinded (Paul Elliott)

He said: “The mum had all 4 babies and her mate was killed off last year by people. She paired up and bred again this year, and people have done the same.

“I’m just broken with it all. I have had a hard year and this going on just makes me boil over.”

The swan attacks have been reported to police.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.