Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
National
Jon Sharman

Two injured after 'explosion' at Teeside steelworks

A view of the former British Steel Lackenby Works in Redcar ( Google Street View )

Two people have been injured after a reported explosion at a steelworks.

Police officers, firefighters and paramedics were called to the Lackenby site in Redcar, near Middlesborough, on Thursday afternoon.

The office of the Tees Valley mayor said there was “an ongoing incident at the South Bank coke ovens, which is part of the SSI steelworks site”.

North East Ambulance Service said it sent “hazardous area response teams” after being alerted to the apparent blast at 2.10pm.

Cleveland Police said it had been called to reports of a fire “at the former SSI site in South Bank”.

Shortly before 6pm it said it had erected a cordon 150m away from the site. There were no homes within the boundary, it said.

Two people have been hurt, but the force said it could not confirm how badly they were injured.

“The Health and Safety Executive has been informed,” it said in a statement.

A witness told Gazette Live he saw a “massive” fireball.

He added: “I can only describe it as something you would see in the Gulf war. It went higher than the big tower.

“The ground shook and I heard a muffled sound. A bit like an aeroplane flying over.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.