Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Wales Online
Wales Online
National
Jonathon Hill

Two-day-old baby died suddenly after parents noticed feeding problems

A two-day-old baby died suddenly after his parents noticed problems with his feeding, an inquest has heard.

Edward Boundy-Hill was born four weeks prematurely on September 21, 2019, at the family’s Bargoed home.

A coroner heard how he had been born while call handlers for the Welsh Ambulance Service advised Edward’s grandmother how to deliver him.

READ MORE: Man killed in head-on crash caused by driver on wrong side of the road

After paramedics arrived Edward and his mother Zoe Boundy were transferred to the Royal Gwent Hospital in Newport . But against medical advice Edward’s parents signed a document declaring their intention to discharge the baby themselves.

Ms Boundy's partner and Edward’s father James Hill told the inquest in a statement that his partner has a phobia of hospitals and didn’t want to stay there longer than necessary.

Following an investigation into Edward’s care Aneurin Bevan University Health Board concluded that while the little boy and his parents left the hospital against medical advice the baby was “seemingly well” at the time “therefore there were no grounds for involvement from police or social services”.

The family were allowed to leave hospital and were advised how to feed Edward but his parents quickly noticed he would struggle feeding.

Mr Hill said the following morning the baby had fed and the midwife arrived later in the afternoon on September 22 and she had no concerns.

The following morning the inquest heard how another midwife arrived at the house and advised Edward’s parents on different bottles to help his feeding but there were still few concerns.

But less than an hour later, on September 23, Edward became particularly lethargic and when his mother tried to bathe him to wake him up she noticed he was still.

A statement from the Welsh Ambulance Service stated paramedics were called, resuscitation was attempted, and Edward was transferred to the Prince Charles Hospital in Merthyr Tydfil where he was declared deceased at 5.25pm.

An autopsy carried out by paediatric pathologist Dr Andrew Bamber found very little that was untoward but did reveal possible inhalation of fluid and some cannabis in the baby's blood. But Dr Bamber said there was no evidence either of these could have caused Edward's death.

The medical cause of death was registered as unascertained.

Senior coroner for Gwent Caroline Saunders recorded an open conclusion.

To get the latest news from WalesOnline sent straight to your email inbox click here .

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.