Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Newcastle Herald
Newcastle Herald
National
Matt Carr Shivé Prema

Six new Omicron cases in NSW as state records two deaths and 260 daily total

TWO people have died with COVID-19 in NSW as six new cases of the Omicron variant were detected in south western Sydney.

Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant said there are now a total of 31 Omicron cases in the state, 20 of which are linked to the Regents Park cluster in Sydney's south west.

"The source of this cluster is believed to be a returned overseas traveller, who arrived in Sydney from Doha on flight QR908 on the 23rd of November. This person had spent time in Nigeria," Dr Chant said on Tuesday.

"It's expected that the numbers linked to this cluster will rise as further results are confirmed over the coming days."

The Regents Park cluster includes Regents Park Christian School, St Peter Chanel Catholic Primary School in Regents Park, and the Sydney Indoor Climbing Gym in Villawood in south western Sydney.

Dr Chant said NSW Health is "continuing to investigate" the 20-case cluster and thanked the schools for their cooperation.

Of the 31 cases in NSW, the remaining 11 cases were acquired either overseas or on an international flight.

Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant said there are now a total of 31 Omicron cases in the state, 20 of which are linked to the Regents Park cluster in Sydney's south west.

One of the people who died was a woman in her 90s with two doses of the vaccine and underlying health conditions, who passed away Westmead Hospital.

The other was an unvaccinated man in his 90s with underlying health conditions, who died at Liverpool Hospital.

So far, no Omicron cases have been admitted to hospital in NSW for treatment of COVID-19.

The state identified 260 fresh cases of COVID-19 in Tuesday's update on the back of 58,706 tests statewide.

The figure, down several thousand on the number of tests carried out on Sunday, follows concerns from Hunter New England Health, where public health physician Dr David Durrheim has flagged a halving in testing totals over the past month.

Testing numbers continue to dwindle, with the 24 hours to 8pm Monday down several thousand from the testing rates the day before despite the preceding period being a weekend.

Adults 16 and over are now 94.7 per cent vaccination, with 92.8 per cent double dosed.

The first dose rate for youths 12 to 15 is now 81.3 per cent, with 77.2 per cent fully vaccinated.

NSW has 155 people in hospital with the virus, 28 of whom require intensive care.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.