Two children in Scotland have died from the Strep A infection. Figures from Public Health Scotland (PHS) show that two children under the age of 10 died from the infection between October and December.
Five other people also died from the infection during the same time period.
While most Strep A cases are fairly mild and easily treated, some can develop into a more serious condition called invasive group A strep (iGAS).
Figures from the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) show that 94 people have died from iGAS within seven days of a diagnosis in England, with 16 being children aged 10 and younger.
A PHS statement said: "Between October 3 and December 25, 13 out of 14 NHS health boards have reported iGAS cases between 3 October and 25 December 2022.
"Six of these NHS boards reported five or less cases. PHS is aware of seven deaths amongst iGAS cases that appear to meet the case definition between 3 October and 25 December 2022, two of whom were in children under 10 years of age.
"This compares with between zero and seven deaths reported during the same time period of previous years."
We previously told of how one Scots schoolgirl was left fighting for her life in hospital after her GP failed to stop the symptoms of Strep A twice.
Ellie Young, six, was hallucinating, vomiting blood and had developed a rash around her mouth but was sent home from an emergency GP visit with a gastroenteritis diagnosis and Dioralyte.
She continued to deteriorate and was rushed to Wishaw General Hospital on November 7 where medics discovered she had developed sepsis from the bacteria as well as having the Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV).
Ellie spent five days in hospital on an IV antibiotic drip before she was allowed home. Her mum Emma, 26, has since spoken out about the symptoms in a bid to raise awareness.
Don't miss the latest news from around Scotland and beyond - Sign up to our daily newsletter here.