Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
Politics
Mikey Smith

Twitter bans 'secret' account apparently run by Ukip candidate Carl Benjamin

Twitter has banned a third account apparently operated by Ukip EU election candidate Carl Benjamin.

Benjamin, a vlogger who calls himself “Sargon of Akkad”, had already been banned from Twitter in 2017 for violating the platform's rules on targeted abuse.

And on Friday an account promoting his campaign to become an MEP in next month's EU elections was banned.

Twitter said that account was suspended because it was intended to circumvent a permanent ban - despite the account claiming it was not run by Benjamin.

Today, the Mirror can reveal a third account with the username @backworldsman1, which appeared to be operated under by Benjamin under the radar, has been suspended.

LONDON, ENGLAND - APRIL 18: MEP Candidate, Carl Benjamin, aka Sargon of Akkad, attends the launch of the UKIP European election campaign, in Westminster on April 18, 2019 in London, England. As the date for Brexit has been extended it is likely that the UK will take part in the forthcoming European Elections to choose MEPs to represent regions of the UK in the European Parliament. (Photo by Leon Neal/Getty Images) (Leon Neal)

Twitter bans Tommy Robinson and Ukip candidate Carl Benjamin's campaign accounts  

Benjamin rose to notoriety after Tweeting a message to Labour MP Jess Philips, saying "I wouldn't even rape you."

And on Friday Ukip refused to dump him as a candidate after a video emerged of him using a string of vile racial slurs.

After the campaign account was frozen, Ukip tweeted: "Official UKIP MEP Campaign account @CarlUkip, of which Carl Benjamin has no access to has been suspended from Twitter

"This is election interference, and UKIP will get to the bottom of this."

LONDON, ENGLAND - APRIL 18: Youtuber Carl Benjamin is interviewed following a UKIP press conference on April 18, 2019 in London, England. As the date for Brexit has been extended, it is likely that the UK will take part in the forthcoming European Elections to choose MEPs to represent regions of the UK in the European Parliament. (Photo by Leon Neal/Getty Images) (Leon Neal)

UKIP refuses to dump candidate who used vile racial slurs including the n-word  

Ukip defended Benjamin earlier today, after a since-deleted 2015 video emerged showing him repeatedly used the words "n****r" and "spic".

The vlogger also repeatedly described two people as a "fag" and a "retard" and used an apparently anti-Semitic meme in the clip.

And he said it was "just f***ing fine" to describe an Asian woman as a "chink".

Anti-fascist group HOPE not Hate, which obtained the video, said the "appalling slurs" showed the "mask has slipped."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.