Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Liverpool Echo
Liverpool Echo
National
Kate Lally

Twelve Sefton schools now hit by coronavirus outbreaks

Twelve schools in Sefton have now been affected by positive coronavirus cases.

Deyes High school in Maghull is the latest in the borough to confirm it has been impacted, with children and staff from one “bubble” sent home yesterday.

In a letter to parents, seen by the ECHO, the school said: “Unfortunately, we have been advised today by Public Health England that there is a confirmed case of Covid-19 within our school community.

“I would like to take time to reassure you that we have taken all necessary actions since hearing this information to keep all children at our school as safe as possible.

“The children and staff in the bubble now self-isolating for 14 days and the school has been cleaned appropriately.”

In an announcement earlier today, Maghull High School said they were contacting parents to arrange for pupils in Year 7 to work from home.

The rate of coronavirus infection across the region has increased rapidly over last weeks, with all boroughs across the region made subject to tougher restrictions from today.

A growing number of schools have been forced to isolate pupils, teachers or even close completely after positive coronavirus tests.

Sefton Council’s head of children’s social care, Vicky Buchanan, has said school closures are the “new normal”.

At an overview and scrutiny meeting this afternoon (Tuesday), she said: “We’re going to have to get used to schools and bubbles closing, as we move forward. This is the new normal.

“Our schools are as safe as they can be.

“The Government very much wants to keep schools open and we concur with that. Children need to learn.”

English Martyrs, Aintree Davenhill and Litherland primary schools announced closures earlier this month.

Last week, further positive test results were confirmed at St Michaels in Crosby, Hudson primary, Holy Spirit primary and Rowan Park special school.

Keep up to date with coronavirus cases in your area by adding your postcode below

Sefton Council said Maricourt High, St Edmund and St Thomas, and St Luke’s (Formby) have also had to respond to positive coronavirus cases.

The local authority has reiterated its message on people only getting tested if they have symptoms.

A council spokesman said: “Testing is key to helping prevent the spread of infections and with the current pressure on accessing appointments, but you should only book a test if you have the coronavirus symptoms of a raised temperature, new constant cough or a loss of taste or smell.

“People should not be trying to book themselves a test because their child has symptoms or has been sent home from school.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.