Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Al Jazeera
Al Jazeera
World
Al Jazeera And AFP

Turkish forces and PKK engage in intense clashes

Fighting between Turkish security forces and the PKK has escalated since a ceasefire broke down in July [File:EPA]

The Turkish military and Kurdish separatists engaged in fierce clashes on Monday as troops attempt to root out fighters from two southern towns.

Two Turkish soldiers were killed and six wounded in a Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) roadside bombing attack as their vehicle travelled on a road close to the eastern town of Bitlis, state media reported. 

Fighting in Cizre and Silopi started last week when the Turkish army launched one of its biggest domestic military operations in recent years against the PKK.

Both towns and several other areas in the mainly Kurdish south are subject to a curfew order restricting movement by civilians.

Al Jazeera spoke to a resident of Cizre who said civilians had been caught in the crossfire between security forces and Kurdish fighters.

"Every day, every minute, there is bombing and shooting... We can see and hear all of it," said the man who spoke by phone and did not want his name published fearing arrest.

An army helicopter was unable to land in Cizre after it was fired on by the PKK, the Hurriyet daily reported. 

Curfew expanded

Elsewhere, local authorities in the southeastern city of Nusaybin said Monday a curfew in the town that previously applied to three areas had been widened to cover 11 more.

Similar operations, backed by curfews, are also in progress in the district of Sur in the Diyarbakir region and the Dargecit district of Mardin province. 

In its latest death toll, the army said 89 PKK fighters were killed in Cizre since the operation began, including nine on Sunday alone.

With tensions rising throughout Turkey's southeast, police fired tear gas canisters in the city of Van to disperse a protest of about 500 people against the curfews, arresting 18 people, the Dogan news agency reported. 

Turkey has been involved in a fast-escalating conflict with the PKK since a ceasefire broke down in July following an ISIL suicide bomb attack on Kurdish youth activists in the town of Suruc, bordering the Syrian town of Kobane.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.