Turkey: Warrants Issued for 214 Suspects in Failed 2016 Coup

By Asharq Al-Awsat
Security forces loyal to Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan guard the General Staff headquarters in Ankara, July 17, 2016. Reuters

Turkish prosecutors have issued detention warrants for 214 serving and former military personnel over alleged ties to a 2016 coup attempt, the state-run news agency said Tuesday.

The investigation, led by prosecutors in the western city of Izmir, had led to 137 arrests across 41 provinces so far, Anadolu Agency reported.

Most of the suspects were dismissed from the armed forces in the wake of the failed coup, but 44 were serving members. The highest-ranking suspect was a colonel, The Associated Press said.

Turkey still carries out regular mass arrests of suspected followers of Fethullah Gulen, whom Ankara accuses of masterminding the attempted takeover, which led to the deaths of 251 people.

Gulen, who has lived in rural Pennsylvania since 1999, denies the allegations against him.

Turkey has designated his network a terror group. The government declared a state of emergency after the failed coup and launched a massive crackdown on the network.

Around 4,900 people have since been sentenced to prison, including around 3,000 who were given life sentences. More than 130,000 people were fired from public service jobs, including more than 20,000 military personnel.


What is inkl?

Important stories

See news based on value, not advertising potential. Get the latest news from around the world.

Trusted newsrooms

We bring you reliable news from the world’s most experienced journalists in the most trusted newsrooms.

Ad-free reading

Read without interruptions, distractions or intrusions of privacy.