Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Politics

Turkey's Erdogan blasts ambassadors' call for philanthropist's release

FILE PHOTO: Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan speaks during a news conference following a cabinet meeting in Ankara, Turkey October 11, 2021. Presidential Press Office/Handout via REUTERS

President Tayyip Erdogan slammed ambassadors of 10 countries, including the United States, Germany and France, over their call for philanthropist Osman Kavala's release, saying Turkey should not be hosting them, in comments reported on Thursday.

The foreign ministry summoned the ambassadors on Tuesday for what it said was an "irresponsible" statement calling for a just and speedy resolution to Kavala's case. He has been in prison since late 2017 without being convicted.

Kavala was acquitted last year of charges related to 2013 nationwide protests, but the ruling was overturned this year andcombined with charges in another case related to a coup attempt in 2016.

In a statement this week, the ambassadors called on Turkey to secure Kavala's swift release.

"I told our foreign minister: We can't have the luxury of hosting this lot in our country. Is it for you to give Turkey such a lesson? Who do you think you are?" Erdogan was quoted as telling reporters on his plane returning from a trip to Africa.

He rejected any suggestion that the Turkish judiciary was not independent. "Our judiciary is one of the nicest examples of independence," Haberturk news website reported him as saying.

Rights groups say Kavala's case is emblematic of a crackdown on dissent under Erdogan.

The European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) called forKavala's immediate release in late 2019 over a lack ofreasonable suspicion that he committed an offence, ruling thathis detention served to silence him.

The Council of Europe has said it will begin infringementproceedings against Turkey if Kavala is not released. Turkeywould be the second country against which infringementproceedings have been launched.

The other parties to the ambassadors' statement were Canada, Denmark, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Finland and New Zealand.

The next hearing in the case against Kavala, who has deniedall charges, and others will be held on Nov. 26.

(Reporting by Daren Butler; Editing by Dominic Evans)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.