Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Asharq Al-Awsat
Asharq Al-Awsat
World
Ankara, Cairo – Saeed Abdulrazek and Jamal Jawhar

Turkey Planning on Remaining in Libya through 2 Military Bases

Vehicles of forces loyal to the GNA are seen outside a checkpoint at al-Watiya airbase southwest of the capital, Tripoli, on May 18, 2020. (Getty Images)

Turkey is continuing its contacts with various effective players in Libya, leading with Russia, amid reports that it was planning on setting up permanent military bases in the North African country.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu are expected in Istanbul on Sunday for talks with their Turkish counterparts on Libya and Syria.

Turkish Defense Minister Hulusi Akar had held a telephone call with NATO chief Jens Stoltenberg on Libya, while President Recep Tayyip Erdogan had received in Istanbul on Friday head of the Libya’s High Council of State Khalid al-Mishri.

Discussions focused on bilateral relations and the need to boost cooperation in all fields. Turkey said it was ready to help Libya build its economy and achieve stability and development.

Turkish presidential spokesman Ibrahim Kalin said contacts are ongoing over reaching a political solution in Libya based on United Nations resolutions and this year’s Berlin conference.

Meanwhile, Turkey’s Yeni Safak daily, which is close to Erdogan, reported that Ankara is planning on setting up permanent military bases in Libya’s al-Watiya airbase and at its Misrata port.

It cited “provocations” from Greece in the eastern Mediterranean, which is raising tensions there and demands the presence of Turkish naval forces in Libyan regional waters.

It cited “regional sources” as saying that military cooperation between Libya and Turkey will rise to “higher” levels after the visit paid to Ankara last week by Libyan Government of National Accord chief Fayez al-Sarraj, who held talks with Erdogan.

Kalin on Friday said Ankara is in favor of a political solution in Libya, reported Yeni Safak.

He said Turkey will not undermine any call for ceasefire but it is important to see where this call is coming from and what is the motive.

Cairo had recently declared an initiative aimed at reaching a ceasefire in the conflict, resuming political talks and electing a leadership council.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.