Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Guardian - AU
The Guardian - AU
World
Maya Yang

Tumbler Ridge shooting: what we know so far

Flowers and toys lie on the ground near the site of a mass shooting at a high school, in the town of Tumber Ridge, British Columbia, Canada.
Flowers and toys lie on the ground near the site of a mass shooting at a high school, in the town of Tumber Ridge, British Columbia, Canada. Photograph: Jennifer Gauthier/Reuters

Police in Canada say 10 people are dead, including the suspect, in a mass shooting that appeared to target a high school in northern British Columbia.

More than two dozen victims have been hospitalised in what the premier, David Eby, called an “unimaginable tragedy” that ranks among the deadliest events of its kind in Canadian history.

Here is a look at what we know so far about the shooting in Tumbler Ridge:

  • Nine people have been killed at Tumbler Ridge secondary school and a nearby residence in a mass shooting in the community of less than 2,500. Police also found the suspect, who appears to have died from a self-inflicted wound.

  • More than 25 people were injured in the shooting on Tuesday, including two who were airlifted to hospital with life-threatening injuries.

  • Six people were found dead inside the school, and one person died on the way to the hospital. Two more people were found dead inside a residence police believe was linked to the shooting. The body of the shooter was also found at the school.

  • Canadian police first received a report of an active shooter at Tumbler Ridge secondary school at about 1.20pm. Police arrived at the scene in north-west Canada in 2 minutes, according to the British Columbia premier, David Eby.

  • The identities of the shooter and the victims have not yet been disclosed by authorities. Canadian police said “we believe we’ve been able to identify the shooter” but withheld details as the investigation continues.

  • All remaining students and staff were safely evacuated from the school.

  • The Canadian prime minister, Mark Carney, said he was “devastated” by the shooting and said he “stands with all British Columbians as they confront this horrible tragedy”.

  • Carney addressed the Canadian parliament in Ottowa on Wednesday afternoon, paying tribute to those who died in the attack and those who worked to protect children. He added: “To those families who have lost loved ones, this House mourns with you. To those who are recovering from injuries, this House prays for you. To the students, the teachers, the parents, every resident of Tumbler Ridge – all of Canada stands with you.”

  • Carney has suspended plans to travel on Wednesday to the Munich security conference in Germany in the wake of the shooting.

  • The UK monarchy paid tribute to those affected by the shooting. King Charles, who serves as Canada’s head of state, said: “We can only begin to imagine the appalling shadow that has now descended across Tumbler Ridge and our hearts go out to all those whose lives have been so shattered by this senseless act of brutal violence”, while the Prince and Princess of Wales said: “We stand with all Canadians following this morning’s appalling tragedy.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.