Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Tribune News Service
Tribune News Service
National
Stephen Rex Brown

Tulsi Gabbard drops defamation suit against Hillary Clinton

Former Democratic presidential hopeful Rep. Tulsi Gabbard dropped her defamation lawsuit against Hillary Clinton Wednesday, citing the coronavirus pandemic and importance of defeating President Trump in November.

Gabbard, a Hawaii congresswoman, sued Clinton in January for suggesting she was a "Russian asset" whose candidacy helped Trump's reelection chances.

"While they remain certain of the action's legal merit, they are just as certain that this new COVID and post-COVID world require them to focus their time and attention on other priorities, including defeating Donald Trump in 2020, rather than righting the wrongs here," Gabbard's attorney Dan Terzian wrote in a Manhattan Federal Court filing withdrawing the suit.

Gabbard had sought more than $50 million in damages.

Clinton said in October that Republicans were "grooming" a Russia-friendly Democratic presidential candidate who could help Trump.

"I think they've got their eye on somebody who's currently in the Democratic primary and are grooming her to be the third-party candidate," Clinton said, referring to Gabbard without naming her.

A Clinton spokesman previously called the suit "ridiculous."

Gabbard was the only Democratic primary contender who opposed Trump's impeachment. Her small base of support was made up largely of Republicans and the handful of Democrats who support Trump.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.