Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Record
Daily Record
Lucy Farrell

Tuesday headlines: The Queen leaves Scotland for last time as coffin departs for London

Good evening and welcome to the Daily Record's Saturday briefing.

The rundown keeps you up to date with the latest news from Scotland and beyond.

Here is everything you need to know to keep up to date.

Queen's coffin leaves Scotland as RAF aircraft departs Edinburgh Airport

The Queen's coffin is carried onto the aircraft (PA)

The Queen has left Scotland for the last ever time after the flight carrying her coffin took off from Edinburgh Airport.

Her Majesty's coffin had been on display at St Giles’ Cathedral in the capital over night as thousands queued to walk past and pay their respects. Earlier today well-wishers gathered on the Royal Mile ahead of its move from the historic building, accompanied by Princess Anne.

Many took up vantage points opposite the cathedral doors before the coffin emerged at 4.30pm. Thousands stood along the road on the short journey from the city centre to the airport as they caught a glimpse of the royal cortege passing by.

Read More HERE.

Celtic fan found dead in Santa Ponsa hotel room

A Celtic fan was found dead in a hotel room in Santa Ponsa after flying to Spain for a holiday with friends. Barry Horn had flown to Majorca last month and had planned to watch the Old Firm with pals at the island's renowned Hoops' bars.

In a tragic turn of events, the 33-year-old, from Airdrie in North Lanarkshire, was found dead in his hotel room two days before the clash on Thursday, September 1. His devastated family say they have been left in the dark over the circumstances surrounding his death, as they wait for the results of a post-mortem. His cause of death remains unknown.

Barry's heartbroken relatives are desperate to bring his body home to Scotland.

Barry's cousin, Donna Collins, 35, told the Record: "We're still in shock. He went over for a week to meet friends and they were going to watch the Celtic v Rangers match on the Saturday.

"He was looking forward to being in the atmosphere over there and really looking forward to the holiday."

Read More HERE.

Protestors gather across from St Giles Cathedral where Queen's coffin lies at rest

A group of protestors have gathered across from St. Giles Cathedral in Edinburgh, where the Queen's coffin has been lying at rest.

Around a dozen activists are standing near large crowds waiting to see Her Majesty's coffin leave the cathedral.

They are holding blank pieces of white paper and some wearing face masks to demonstrate against the recent arrests of anti-monarchy protestors.

The paper remains blank as a symbolic stand against free speech after one woman, 22, was arrested on Sunday for allegedly holding a sign that said "f*** imperialism, abolish monarchy".

She was charged in connection with breach of the peace.

Read More HERE.

Man accused of murdering Scots mum Renee MacRae and son 46 years ago appears in court

Renee MacRae, 36, and three-year-old Andrew Macrae (PA)

The man accused of murdering a mother and the child they had together almost 46 years ago has said her estranged husband, along with others, was responsible for the crime.

William MacDowell, of Penrith, went on trial at the High Court in Inverness on Tuesday where he is accused of killing the 36-year-old Renee MacRae and their son Andrew, three, in November 1976. Represented by Murray Macara KC, the court was told the 80-year-old denies the charges against him and has lodged a special defence of incrimination and alibi.

The jury of seven men and eight women were told he was not at the scene of the alleged murder on November 12, 1976, and that he spent the night at home. The defence claims that Ms MacRae's, husband Gordon MacRae, whom she was separated from, committed the offences together with persons unknown.

Read More HERE.

Toddler tragically killed by father driving truck in family farm accident

Ianto Cerwyn Sior Jenkins (Chloe Picton)

A father discovered his toddler had been killed by the vehicle he was driving after he received a distressing phone call from his mother informing him that his son was dead, an inquest has heard.

Shortly before 7pm on August 3, 2021, Guto Jenkins, 31, was leaving the yard on his Welsh farm in his Volkswagen Amarok vehicle, which had a trailer attached to the back. His three-year-old son, Ianto Cerwyn Sior Jenkins, was outside playing on his bike when the pick-up truck tragically crushed him to death.

Mr Jenkins drove away, unaware of his son's presence and received the phone call from his mother shortly afterwards, Wales Online reports. Ianto and his sister, Seren, and his cousin, Lydia, had been playing outside when the tragic incident happened.

Earlier that day, they all joined Guto Jenkins on a journey from his parent's home in Rhosfach Farm in Efailwen to deliver topsoil to a customer of the business he ran. Ianto and Seren lived with their mother, Jenkin's ex wife, Chloe Picton, on a nearby farm in the Clunderwen area of Pembrokeshire, and both kids were staying with their father for a period of 10 days.

Don't miss the latest news from around Scotland and beyond - Sign up to our daily newsletter here.


Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.