The RMT union faced a growing backlash over Tube strikes in a dispute over a four-day week described as offering drivers the best working conditions on the whole of the mainline rail network.
The industrial action will hit Londoners with more travel misery this week.
The “militant” union is pressing ahead with two more rounds of 24-hour walkouts, beginning at 12pm on Tuesday and again at midday on Thursday.
The timing of the strikes by drivers, who earn about £75,000 a year, will mean Underground services are hit over a four-day period.

But the deal offered by Transport for London has been accepted by the Aslef train drivers’ union.
In a memo to members, Finn Brennan, Aslef district organiser for the Tube, stressed: "The introduction of the four-day week will be the biggest improvement in working conditions for Underground train drivers in decades.
“It means you will have working conditions that are as good as, or better than, those on any mainline train company."
He explained the benefits of the four-day week deal as including:
* An extra month, 35 days, away from work a year.
* Average weekly rostered hours reducing to 34 from current average of 36.
* A third rest day every week so more time at home and less time travelling to and from work, reducing fatigue and giving drivers a better quality of life.
* An extra rest day each week means roster patterns and duty swaps could be arranged so drivers will have more flexibility to block leave together, or take long weekends or mini-breaks.
* Saving money on travel and childcare costs.
* For the first time drivers will be able to volunteer for overtime.
* Undisturbed meal breaks will be counted as working hours, only for drivers.
* Overtime, one day a week, will be paid at time and a quarter.

Mr Brennan stressed that the four-day week, being piloted on the Bakerloo Line, was voluntary and was not being forced on drivers.
He added: “The reality is few people will want to keep working an extra day and more hours every week for no extra money and less time off!”
But the RMT (The National Union of Rail, Maritime and Transport Workers) was pressing ahead with the planned strikes this week.
An RMT spokesperson said: “Our members feel that this is a ‘fake four-day week’ that amounts to five days’ work compressed into four.
“This includes reduced flexibility over shift patterns, with the potential for only 24 hours notice of what shifts drivers will be doing, serious concerns from our members about shift length and resulting fatigue impacting safety in a safety-critical role like Tube driving.”
The walkouts, though, have faced criticism and angered many London commuters and other Underground users.
Shadow Transport Secretary Richard Holden said: “Once again, our capital is set to be held to ransom by RMT militants.
“While even Aslef has accepted a deal, the RMT - which has supported Labour MPs to the tune of hundreds of throusands of pounds - is still threatening disruption for millions of passengers.”

London Mayor Sir Sadiq Khan has urged TfL and the RMT to get back to the negotiating table to resolve the dispute but so far there is no sign of that happening.
Claire Mann, TfL's chief operating officer, said: "It is disappointing that the RMT is planning this strike action despite our best efforts to resolve this dispute.
“We have been clear that our proposals for a four-day week are designed to improve work-life balance and are entirely voluntary.”
TfL is urging people to check before they travel on strike days to seek to limit disruption to their journeys.
Trains are expected to run on most Tube lines but with disruption on all of them.
Most other TfL services, including the Elizabeth Line and London Overground, are set to run but are likely to be busier than usual.