Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
Politics
Clark Mindock

Trump withdraws US from Iran nuclear deal

President Donald Trump has withdrawn the United States from the Iran nuclear agreement and is set to reimpose severe sanctions on the country to try to cripple its ability to create a nuclear weapon.

Mr Trump said the sanctions would penalise Iran for what he described as “state-sponsored terror” in the Middle East, which works against the United States and its allies.

In a speech at the White House, Mr Trump said the Iran deal was “decaying and rotten” and “defective at its core”. He cited the Iranian development of ballistic missiles – an issue not addressed in the deal – as a breach of the spirit of the deal by Iran, which he said has “murdered hundreds of American service members, and kidnapped, imprisoned and tortured American citizens”.

“I am announcing today that the United States will withdraw from the Iran nuclear deal,” Mr Trump said.

During the announcement, Mr Trump cited Israeli claims that they had acquired documents showing Iran had not ended its nuclear enrichment programme, and he said that Iran had been using money from relaxed sanctions to develop its ballistic missile capabilities and to fund terrorism in the Middle East.

Experts have questioned what new information the Israeli claims present, and have said they do not show that Iran is currently enriching military-grade uranium.

“The fact is this was a horrible, one-sided deal that should have never ever been made,” Mr Trump said. “It didn’t bring calm, it didn’t bring peace, and it never will.”

The decision follows weeks of speculation about what Mr Trump would do, as officials from France, the UK and Germany – the three European signatories on the Iranian deal – worked to try to convince Mr Trump to keep the agreement intact ahead of a 12 May deadline.

It is not clear exactly what will happen to the Iran deal now that the United States is no longer a party, as those other countries and Iran may find a way to keep some semblance of the deal together.

Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said on Monday that the deal could survive if Mr Trump pulls away, a statement that is buoyed by the fact that the thawed relations between Iran and Europe has allowed European entities to start doing business within Iran.

Mr Rouhani said on Tuesday that he has “ordered the Atomic Energy Organisation of Iran to be ready to start the enrichment of uranium at industrial levels”, but added that he would “wait a few weeks” to start that enrichment so that Iran can speak to allies and the other countries in the deal.

“All depends on our national interests,” Mr Rouhani said of whether he will restart the enrichment.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, in a statement emailed to reporters following Mr Trump’s decision, said that the US will continue to work with its international allies to find a solution to the Iranian threat described by the president.

“As we exit the Iran deal, we will be working with our allies to find a real, comprehensive and lasting solution to the Iranian threat,” Mr Pompeo said in the statement.

“We have a shared interest with our allies in Europe and around the world to prevent Iran from ever developing a nuclear weapon. But our effort is broader than just the nuclear threat, and we will be working together with partners to eliminate the threat of Iran’s ballistic missile programme; to stop its terrorist activities worldwide; and to block its menacing activity across the Middle East and beyond.”

“As we build this global effort, sanctions will go into full effect and will remind the Iranian regime of the diplomatic and economic isolation that results from its reckless and malign activity,” he continued.

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin confirmed the sanctions in a statement, saying that the US would reimpose those sanctions in keeping with 90 day and 180 day “wind-down” periods.

The sanctions are primarily aimed at Iran’s oil sector, according to the Treasury Department, and will also affect the country’s central bank. Aircraft exports to Iran, the country’s metals trade and any efforts by Iran to obtain US currency are also subject to sanctions.

Mr Trump had made clear previously that he did not like the 2015 agreemen. The deal limited the number of centrifuges Iran could keep using, required Iran to destroy or export the core of its plutonium plant at Arak and replace it with a new core that cannot produce weapons-grade plutonium, and required Iran to give up 97 per cent of its enriched uranium.

Still, Mr Trump pulled back from reimposing the sanctions during the first 16 months of his presidency, leaving some hope for proponents of the deal that he could leave it alone, even as he claimed the deal was the “worst deal ever”.

Before his announcement on Tuesday, Mr Trump had appeared open to the idea of negotiating a new deal with Iran – or one that builds upon the 2015 agreement to fix perceived flaws in the accord.

He signalled as much during the first state visit of his presidency, when French President Emmanuel Macron was honoured at the White House.

Still, although Mr Macron was said to have focused on the benefits of the deal during that trip, Mr Trump made clear he views Iran as a threat to the United States and its allies, and said that he would punish the country for any threats.

“If Iran threatens us in any way, they will pay a price like few countries have ever paid,” Mr Trump said. “We will have a great show doing a much bigger, ‘maybe deal, maybe not’ deal.”

Mr Trump’s announcement on Tuesday was met with mixed reaction from Republicans and Democrats in Washington.

Republican Kevin McCarthy, the House majority leader, noted that Mr Trump had campaigned on the issue in 2016, and said he believes Mr Trump knows how to keep nuclear weapons out of Iranian hands.

“I think President Trump understands foreign policy ... If our goal here is not to have Iran have a nuclear weapon, I would trust this president to actually get it done,” Mr McCarthy said.

Democrats, on the other hand, have criticised the Iran decision.

“With this decision President Trump is risking US national security, recklessly upending foundational partnerships with key US allies in Europe, and gambling with Israel’s security,” said Senator Bob Menendez, the top Democrat on the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.