
President Donald Trump posted on social media on Monday that he was holding off on a planned military attack on Iran scheduled for Tuesday, while efforts continue to reach a deal, adding that the United States was ready to resume attacking if one is not reached.
Trump's sudden announcement on social media on Monday came after Iran said it had responded to a new US proposal aimed at ending the war.
Read more: US extends sanctions waiver on Russian oil for 30 days, Bessent says
Trump said he would "hold off on our planned Military attack of the Islamic Republic of Iran, which was scheduled for tomorrow," in a message on his Truth Social network.
The US president said he had been asked to do so by the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates as "serious negotiations are now taking place."
The Gulf allies believe "a Deal will be made" that includes "NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN!" added Trump.
Trump said he had informed the US military "that we will NOT be doing the scheduled attack of Iran tomorrow."
But he said he had "further instructed them to be prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment's notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached."
Also read: 'Will call on G7 to follow sanctions regime on Iran,' says US Treasury Secretary Bessent
Trump's post came after Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei confirmed that Tehran's views had been "conveyed to the American side through Pakistan" but gave no details.
Trump had not previously disclosed that he was planning a strike for May 19, but over the weekend, he warned, “For Iran, the Clock is Ticking, and they better get moving, FAST, or there won't be anything left of them.”
Trump has been threatening for weeks that the ceasefire struck in mid-April could end if Iran did not strike a deal.
Trump, in recent days, has also spoken with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Chinese President Xi Jinping about the Iran war.