Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Tribune News Service
Tribune News Service
National
David Yaffe-Bellany

Trump rule restricting asylum-seekers blocked by US judge

A federal judge in Washington, D.C., blocked a Trump administration rule that disqualified immigrants at the southern U.S. border from receiving asylum unless they had already sought it elsewhere.

U.S. District Judge Timothy J. Kelly ruled Tuesday that the government had "unlawfully promulgated" the asylum rule, bypassing the usual public comment process required under the Administrative Procedure Act. A federal judge in California had earlier blocked enforcement of the rule, which was part of a broader immigration crackdown by President Donald Trump.

Immigration advocates said the rule would make it more difficult for anyone fleeing persecution and violence in Central America to receive asylum. The administration argued that observing the notice-and-comment requirement would lead to a surge of asylum-seekers at the southern border while the rule was pending. Kelly disputed that claim, saying the government had provided no specific evidence for it besides a single article in The Washington Post.

"The article does little if anything to support defendants' prediction that undertaking notice-and-comment rule-making would have led to a dramatic, immediate surge of asylum applications at the border," the judge said.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.