Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Los Angeles Times
Los Angeles Times
Environment
Nicole Santa Cruz

Trump approves disaster funds for Thomas fire victims

President Donald Trump on Tuesday declared that a natural disaster exists in California and ordered federal assistance to help local agencies in recovery efforts in areas affected by the Thomas fire, which started Dec. 4 and is still burning.

The declaration means that federal funds will be available to state and local governments for emergency work in Santa Barbara and Ventura counties, according to a news release from the White House.

Nonprofit organizations will also be eligible to receive funds for emergency work.

Last year was the most destructive on record for California wildfires, with the Thomas fire topping an 85-year-old list of wildfires. It was also the third year in the last decade that flames burned more than 1 million acres across the state.

So far, the Thomas fire has cost more than $204.5 million to fight, a U.S. Forest Service spokesman said. More than 1,000 structures were destroyed and an additional 280 structures were damaged, the spokesman said.

The fire has burned nearly 282,000 acres and is 92 percent contained.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.