
Trump tweeted on Thursday that his nominee for the Federal Reserve board Stephen Moore "has decided to withdraw from the Fed process."
The backdrop: Just this morning, Moore — who was facing concerns from Republican senators about his nomination — told the Wall Street Journal that he was not withdrawing and had the support of the White House. A senior administration official told the Journal:
Moore had faced criticism for his past past controversial statements on women. He apologized and said they were "humor columns," but added he had endured "one personal assault after another and a kind of character assassination having nothing to do with economics" ever since Trump contacted him about the Fed job.
Moore told Trump in a statement:
The big picture: Trump's other pick for the Federal Reserve board, Herman Cain, withdrew last month after pushback from Republican senators due to sexual assault allegations, which he has previously denied. Cain later claimed sexual harassment allegations leveled against him formed no part of his decision to withdraw, and that the decision was really about having to "take a pay cut."