Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Guardian - UK
The Guardian - UK
Business
Jasper Jackson

Trinity Mirror allowed to appeal £1.2m payout to phone-hacking victims

Sadie Frost
Sadie Frost received what is believed to be the single biggest privacy damages payout since the phone-hacking scandal broke in 2010. Photograph: Carl Court/Getty Images

Trinity Mirror has been granted permission to appeal the £1.2m in payouts made to eight victims of phone hacking by its Mirror titles.

Trinity said an appeal by its Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN) subsidiary, which publishes the Daily Mirror, Sunday Mirror and Sunday People would be “heard as soon as reasonably possible” by the Court of Appeal.

Trinity was initially refused permission to appeal the settlements for victims including Sadie Frost and Paul Gascoigne, which were expected to set a precedent for future payouts.

Frost alone was awarded £260,250 in what is believed to be the single biggest privacy damages payout since the phone-hacking scandal broke in 2010.

At the time, more than 70 high-profile claimants said they would sue the papers.

In May, Trinity increased the amount it had set aside to cover the costs of settling the civil claims over phone hacking from £12m to £28m.

Earlier this month, Trinity chief executive Simon Fox told the Guardian that the company wanted to “make the right payments to the civil claimants”, but that the judge in the case had “got it wrong” on their scale, adding: “That’s why we are appealing. We hope that process will occur as quickly as possible.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.