BBC Radio 2 DJ Trevor Nelson has revealed he had “very serious surgery” after being diagnosed with a brain tumour, but said he is now “on the mend”.
The broadcaster, 62, shared a post to Instagram in June saying he was taking a break from work commitments to deal with “health issues”.
In a post on Thursday, Nelson told how his “world was turned upside down” when he found out he had a brain tumour.
The radio star explained he has spent the last month “recuperating, resting, and recovering” after receiving surgery which went “incredibly well”, and he hopes to return to work soon.
In a video message, he said: “A lot of you may have seen the post that I put up at the start of summer, saying that I was stepping back from all my work commitments due to illness.
“There’s been a lot of speculation as to what’s wrong with me, I know that much.”
Nelson said he has been flooded with “people asking me what’s wrong with me” and explained he feels ready to break his silence due to “the love and the positive vibes” he has received.
He said: “I’m not going to go into it all now, and I will probably deep-dive into it at a later date so you can hear the whole crazy story.
“But I’ll tell you this: I was minding my own business, and then it was discovered that I had a brain tumour.
“My world was turned upside down. It was a shock to myself, my close family, and friends. My head was all over the place.”
The award-winning broadcaster said he “knew I had to stop work” after his diagnosis, and he underwent surgery a few weeks later.
“Thankfully it went incredibly well, and the last month I’ve been at home recuperating, resting, recovering, and getting some post-op treatment,” he said.
Nelson went on to say he feels “great right now” and is “almost back to myself”, adding: “I’ve had a really serious situation, but I’ve come out the other side at this point and I feel great.
“I feel raring to go, and I feel in good health.”
As he urged his followers not to worry about him, Nelson said he is “doing all the things I normally used to do” and wants to resume his radio work and DJ gigs “as soon as possible”.
He added: “I really am on the mend. Thank-you once again for all your positive vibes, your love and support.”
Nelson also said the 2026 World Cup “took my mind off so many things” amid his “very serious situation this summer”, and added: “It was really important to me.”
He concluded the video by saying followers “will be hearing me on a radio near you very, very soon”.
In the caption, Nelson wrote: “I’m feeling good. I will be back to work very soon. To radio first and later to my DJ gigs.
“Thank you for all your messages, your love and your support,” followed by a red heart emoji.
He was flooded with support and well-wishes following his post, including fellow broadcaster Fearne Cotton who wrote: “We love you Trev. So happy you’re recovering well.”
Comedian Romesh Ranganathan, fellow DJ Melvin Odoom, singer Craig David and EastEnders actress Diane Parish were among the other famous faces offering their support, as well as presenters Zoe Ball and Clara Amfo.
BBC Radio 2 wrote: “Sending you so much love Trevor! Can’t wait to have you back.”
Nelson presented weekdays 2-4pm on Radio 2, and BBC Radio 1Xtra each Sunday from 11am to 1pm prior to his break.
He has worked for radio stations including Kiss FM, Radio 1, Radio 2 and MTV during his decades-long broadcasting career.