Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Newcastle Herald
Newcastle Herald
National
Barry Toohey

'Traumatic few weeks': Emotional Pearce breaks his silence

Knights coach Adam O'Brien and former skipper Mitchell Pearce on Thursday morning. Picture: Jonathan Carroll

AN emotional Mitchell Pearce has struggled to hold back tears in his first public address following the texting drama that has cost him the Newcastle captaincy.

Standing alongside Knights coach Adam O'Brien on Thursday morning, Pearce said it had been "a traumatic few weeks for my personal life and those I love".

"Unfortunately my actions have impacted the team and more importantly the people I have closest to me and Kristin and my family," he said.

"I've taken steps to address these issues but I feel it would be in the best interests of the club for me to step down as captain for the season.

"I love this club and I love my family.

"I'm committed to working as hard as I can to be the best man I can be both on and off the field."

Kristin Scott and Mitchell Pearce. Picture: Marina Neil

HOW THE SAGA HAS UNFOLDED:

O'Brien went on to say the Knights were like one big family and that they would rally around their former skipper.

He was confident the saga wouldn't negatively impact the club's 2021 NRL campaign, where they'll look to build on last season's finals appearance.

MORE TO COME

For faster access to the latest Newcastle news download our NEWCASTLE HERALD APP and sign up for breaking news, sport and what's on sent directly to your email.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.